Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Oh, Wise Poverbs

When I do my daily Bible readings, I like to read a part of the Old and New Testaments and either a Proverb or a Psalm.  About two years ago, I discovered the One Year Bible, which has daily readings with an excerpt from each for every day of the year.  I love it; it's my second time going through it.  I found that when I read my regular Bible, I get somewhat distracted by trying to read a certain amount of chapters daily and then it ends up being too much.  This sections it out, so I do the same amount every day.

Because Proverbs is so short, they put only 2-3 verses of it for each day.  With the verses sectioned off, you just have short, yet immensely profound, statements that just hit you hard after you're finishing up with the rest of your read.  I'm also realizing that wisdom is a huge theme in Proverbs.  I really enjoy verses that speak about wisdom, as I feel that it is such an important part of being a witness.  I just always picture what kind of a Christian we should strive to be (as defined by the Word) as a slow to speak, calm, and wise person.  So I have really been sucked in to these verses that tell you how to be wise.  Here are some that have really stood out to me:

If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept correction, you will be honored.  It is pleasant to see dreams come true, but fools refuse to turn from evil to attain them.  13:18-19


Wise people think before they act; fools don't - and even brag about their foolishness.  13:16


Wickedness never brings stability, but the godly have deep roots.  12:3


Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.  11:3

Wounds from a sincere friend are better than kisses from an enemy.  27:6


The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.  28:1

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment