Monday, August 15, 2011

Quinoa Tabbouleh Creation

John's mom always makes Syrian food for special occasions and an important staple to that meal is tabbouleh.  Typically, it's made with bulgur, which is a whole grain.  However, John's dad, sister and John don't tolerate wheat well and she started making it with quinoa.  Quinoa is delicious.  I love it.  It's a complete protein, gluten free, and beyond good for you.  It's also really easy to make.  Essentially, you make it the same way as rice.  It goes with a lot of different things, but we've been adding sauteed vegetables with some olive oil and it's so yummy.  I looked up a recipe online for quinoa tabbouleh and made that recently for dinner.  It was super, super easy.  Here are my ingredients:

carrots, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, sea salt, green onions, lemon juice, olive oil, and quinoa.
I just boiled 2 cups of water, added a cup of dry quinoa and brought it to a boil.  I reduced it to a simmer, then covered it and took it off the heat for 15 minutes.  Fluffed it with a fork, and set it aside to cool.

Then I got out my Magic Bullet and separately chopped up the carrots, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, and green onions.

Veggies!

Veggies + cooked quinoa
I took all of the vegetables and threw them in a bowl with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and some fresh ground pepper just for the fun of it.  I made it about an hour before dinner so I just put it in the fridge.

MMMmm.....

Quinoa tabbouleh, chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese and artichoke hearts, and a spinach salad!
It was definitely easy and really, really good for you.  We will be making that on the regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment